Public Services

A broad array of services are available to residents of Delaware City. Public services are provided within the municipal limits by several levels of government, including the town, New Castle County, and the State of Delaware. Certain services are provided by the private sector under contract with the government or are the responsibility of private companies or property owners. Some services are provided as part of taxes, others are supported by user fees.

Solid-Waste Disposal and Recycling:

2022 Recycling Schedule

Delaware City Solid Waste Rules and Regulations. Trash collection is once per week on Mondays. Delaware City contracts for trash collection with a private company, currently Waste Industries . Each property is issued a 96-gallon cart. All garbage must be bagged and must fit in (or on) the cart. Large quantities that don’t fit in the cart or large items such as furniture and appliances are subject to a Bulk Items Price Sheet. Contact Waste Industries directly at (302) 378-5400 to arrange for a large item pick-up. Special fees and restrictions apply to appliances with refrigerant gas and used tires.  The City does not provide collection services for large commercial users. Businesses requiring a dumpster contract privately.   For a resident requiring an extra trash cart there is a quarterly fee.  Call Town Hall 302-834-4573 for more information.

Delaware City has one of the most comprehensive curbside recycling programs in Delaware.  How to Recycle – A Guide to Recycling in Delaware . The City provides free bi-weekly curbside service (2022 recycling schedule) on the same day as trash collection (Mondays) and provides free recycling containers. The single stream recycling allows co-mingled aluminum and steel cans, narrow-neck plastic bottles, and glass (all colors), plus corrugated cardboard, and newspapers.

Yard waste recycling collection is also on Mondays and is done by The Cutting Edge. Please do not put yard waste in the trash cart. The City will collect for free: grass clippings, shrubs and tree trimmings. A fee will be charged for quantities measuring more than 4’x3’x8‘.  Please make sure your branches and shrubs are bundled so a man can pick it up.  If your yard waste material is excessive, you will need to contact someone to remove it privately.   Leaves will be vacuumed from October through December on Mondays.  If the amount of leaves are too many for a 1 day pickup, the leaf collection may continue throughout the week.  For more information on recycling in Delaware visit .

Animal Control:

Animal control (stray dogs and cats and wild animals) is currently provided by Delaware Animal Services.  If you have a dog or cat control problem, call 302-255-4646. In an emergency situation with a dangerous dog or wild animal, call 911. Section 24-21 of the Delaware City Code requires that dogs be under their owner’s control at all times and that waste be picked up.

Business License:

Delaware City has a Business License Application for anyone who operates, maintains or otherwise engages in any business, occupation or activity listed in Chapter 51 Article I of the Delaware City Code.  The cost for a license is $50 for establishments and $150 for Mobile Businesses.

Cable TV & Internet:

Cable TV & Internet:Cable television services are provided by Atlantic Broadband (302) 378-7723 and Verizon (800) 275-2355 under franchises granted by the City. High speed internet services are available through Atlantic Broadband (cable) and Verizon FIOS (fiber optic).

Code Enforcement:

Delaware City now has its own Code Enforcement Officer.  The Code Enforcement Department comes under the Chief of Police.  Our Code Enforcer is Shane Miller.  If you have a complaint, you can call 834-4573 ext 120, or you can complete the Code Enforcement Complaint Forms.


Delaware City is responsible for drainage in street rights-of-way. The drainage system consists of curbs and gutters, catch basins and pipes, and open swales and ditches. Property owners are responsible for ensuring that drainage is not obstructed by landscaping, adding gravel, or other alterations. Property owners are also responsible for routine maintenance of surface drainage in the rights-of-way adjacent to their property (Chapter 8 of the City Code). This includes mowing and litter removal. A permit is required prior to any alteration in the right-of-way. The City holds a NPDES permit from the U.S. EPA under which the City is obligated to ensure that stormwater runoff is not polluted. It is against the law to introduce any pollutant into the city drainage system. Also see Environmental Protection.


Electric service is provided primarily by Delmarva Power (302) 454-0300. To report a power outage, call (800) 898-8042. Under deregulation, electricity may be purchased from other suppliers. Visit the Delaware Public Service Commission website for additional information on electric choice.

Environmental Protection:

If you see a fuel or chemical spill or other environmental hazard, contact DNREC Emergency Spill Response or call toll-free at (800) 662-8802 or at (302) 739-9401.

Flood Insurance:

Most of Delaware City is in the 100 year floodplain which means there is a 1% chance of a flood occurring.   Delaware City has a floodplain regulation ordinance and participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) [pdf].  If you have any questions about the NFIP click here.  Delaware City also participates in the Community Rating System (CRS) which enables property owners in Delaware City to get flood insurance at discounted rates. Having an Elevation Certificate completed for your property can possibly save you money on your insurance.  Here is a link for an 2018 Elevation Certificate and Insructions on how to fill it out.  A good site for more helpful information is Flood Smart.  There are a number of requirements that you must follow to build in the Floodplain.   FEMA has published technical bulletins to help you with building in the Floodplain: Users Guide to Tech Bulletins 2009; TB1 Openings in Foundation Walls; TB2-Resistant Materials Requirements; TB3 Non-Residential Floodproofing; TB4 Elevator Installation; TB5 Free of Obstruction Requirements ; TB6 Below Grade Parking Requirements; TB 7-93 Wet Floodproofing Requirements; TB8 Corrosion Protection in Coastal Areas; TB9 Design and Construciton for Breakaway Walls; TB10 Structures on Fill and Special Flood Hazard AreasTB11 Crawlspace Construction in Special Flood Hazard Are.   Click Here for more Floodplain Information.

Freedom of Information Act:

The Freedom of Information Act (F.O.I.A.)  is a law that gives you the right to access information from the government.  It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government. Under the F.O.I.A. Title 29 of the State of Delaware Code, agencies must disclose any information that is requested – unless that information is protected from public disclosure. The F.O.I.A. also requires that agencies automatically disclose certain information, including frequently requested records.  To request information from the Delaware City government please fill out a Request for Public Records Form 12-0123 and return it to Town Hall, 407 Clinton Street.  Delaware City’s F.O.I.A. If you have any questions, please contact Delaware CIty’s F.O.I.A. Coordinator, Kathy Clifton at 302-834-4573.

Gas, Natural:

Natural gas service for home and business is available in most of Delaware City. Service is provided by Delmarva Power. To report a gas leak or gas emergency, call (302) 454-0317

Gazebo Rental:

To rent the gazebo in Battery Park you will need to complete an application.  Fees are subject to change, check at the time of your rental.  There are certain park rules you must follow to use the park.  Once the application is accepted a park permit will be issued by Town Hall.  For further information call Chief David Baylor or Judy Masishin at 836-6344.

Hazard Mitigation:

In January, 2014, a final draft of the Delaware City Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Action Plan was completed.  Given the current hazards of storms and flooding, and potential future impacts of climate change, the goal of this hazard mitigation and climate adaptation planning project has been to identify existing vulnerabilities, to learn about how they will be exacerbated in the future, and to create community-vetted strategies to address issues.

Historic Preservation:

Delaware City has a large Historic District. Restrictions apply to alterations and new construction within the District. Financial assistance for the rehabilitation of historic properties is available through the state historic tax credit program.

Home Repair:

Financial assistance may be available to qualified low and moderate income families for home repairs. Contact the New Castle County Department of Community Services for more information.

Mosquito Control:

DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife conducts mosquito control activities statewide and Delaware City is a participating community. Wetland areas are aerially sprayed to reduce breeding. Upon request of the City, DNREC will also spray for adult mosquitos within the town using a truck mounted atomizer. DNREC offers an email notification service for mosquito spraying. For more information about the mosquito control program, notification, policies and chemicals used, visit the Fish & Wildlife website.

Parks and Recreation:

Delaware City maintains several parks for active and passive recreation. These include Battery Park downtown, the Seventh Street Park and playground, the Community Center grounds, play area, and the Bubby Sadler ballfields on Route 9. In addition, the Delaware City Park District maintains a playground, ball field, and community building at Dragon Run Park. The Park District is independent of the city government with its own elected board and officers.

Planning and Zoning:

Delaware City has authority over planning, zoning, and subdivision activities within the town. Contact Town Hall with any questions at (302) 834-4573.  You can also find information in Chapter 46 Zoning of the Delaware City Code.


The sanitary sewer system and treatment plant are operated by New Castle County. For a sewer emergency call (302) 395-5700. The County maintains sewer mains and laterals to the property line or edge of road. The lateral on private property and into the house is the property owner’s responsibility.

Sidewalk Repair and Maintenance:

By Code, property owners are responsible for the maintenance and repair of sidewalks adjacent to their property. This includes snow removal, which must be completed within 24 hours of the end of a storm. The City has an inspection program designed to promote the safety and accessibility of the city’s pedestrian facilities. Property owners will be notified and instructed to correct tripping and other hazardous conditions; however, property owners should be aware that they may face legal liability for injuries caused by the condition of their sidewalk, with or without notice by the City.

Senior Citizens/Disabled Residents:

The City provides several benefits for its senior citizens, including city property tax and water bill discounts for qualified senior and disabled property owners.  Applications are available at Town Hall in January of each year. The exemption must be applied for each year and returned by April 15th. New Castle County also has a tax reduction program for seniors [pdf].

Delaware City offers programs for seniors at the Community Center. Art classes, museum visits, and lunch outings are among the recent offerings. Contact Town Hall (302) 836-4683 for hours and details.  Delaware City Housing for Seniors is another link that you may find helpful.  For your safety and peace of mind, New Castle County also offers a phone check-in program for seniors. Named Senior Roll Call, the program includes daily phone calls to seniors and home-bound individuals to make sure they are OK. Call the New Castle County Police Community Services Unit at (302) 395-8159 for more information. The City has its own program for checking on our senior citizens & disabled residents called “Just Checking” Fill out the form and return it to Town Hall (302) 834-4573 if you are interested in becoming a part of the program.  The City also has a program called Code Red which will call our residents in cases of emergencies or Town Wide notifications. It is as easy as clicking the link below and following the instructions.    

Storm Water Prevention:

Delaware City has a Stormwater Prevention Ordinance and participates in the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). Mandated by Congress under the Clean Water Act, the NPDES Stormwater Program is a comprehensive two-phased national program for addressing the non-agricultural sources of stormwater discharges which adversely affect the quality of our nation’s waters. The program uses the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting mechanism to require the implementation of controls designed to prevent harmful pollutants from being washed by stormwater runoff into local water bodies.

When residents see evidence that someone has dumped chemicals or debris into the storm sewer system, here’s what they can do:

• Visit and fill out an online form
• Call or send a text message to (302) STOPPIT (302.786.7748) with the location and details
• Email with the location and details

The stormwater management programs are designed to prevent harmful pollutants from being washed by stormwater runoff into the storm sewer system (or dumped) and then discharged from the storm sewer system into local waterbodies.  Polluted stormwater runoff is a leading cause of impairment to the nearly 40 percent of surveyed U.S. water bodies which do not meet water quality standards. Over land or via storm sewer systems, polluted runoff is discharged, often untreated, directly into local water bodies. When left uncontrolled, this water pollution can result in the destruction of fish, wildlife, and aquatic life habitats; a loss in aesthetic value; and threats to public health due to contaminated food, drinking water supplies, and recreational waterways. 

We partner with New Castle County and Del D.O.T. for a comprehensive Storm Water Pollution Prevention and Management Program (SWPP MP).  As part of our agreement, Delaware City submits an 2018 Annual NPDES Report to New Castle County updating them on our Storm Water practices.   If you should witness any illegal discharges to our storm water system, please report it immediately to Town Hall 302-834-4573.  Illegal discharges are anything which causes or contributes to pollution of our storm water system.  Pollutants may include, but are not limited to: paints, varnishes, and solvents; motor oil and other automotive fluids; non-hazardous liquid and solid wastes and yard wastes; refuse, rubbish, garbage, litter, or other discarded or abandoned objects and accumulations, that may cause or contribute to pollution; floatables; pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers; hazardous substances and wastes; sewage, fecal chloroform and pathogens; dissolved and particulate metals; animal wastes; wastes and residues that result from constructing a building or structure; and noxious or offensive matter of any kind.  For special recycling information for some of these pollutants, please visit the DSWA websiteClick Here for more Stormwater information.  Only rain down the drain!  Remember If You Wouldn’t Drink It, Don’t Dump It!!

Street Maintenance:

Delaware City is responsible for maintaining all streets in the city, except for Route 9 (Fifth Street) and Clinton Street west of the stoplight, which are maintained by Del DOT. Dragon Run Road (Madison Street Extended), is a private road from the rear of the Fire Company property to Dragon Run Park. The City has undertaken a significant street rehabilitation program in recent years, however, funding for major repairs or reconstruction are currently limited. Contact Town Hall about pot holes.


Phone service is provided primarily by Verizon. Cavalier Telephone also provides land line service. Newer phone service options include internet-based voice communication, known as VoIP (voice over internet protocol). There are several national providers and Atlantic Broadband cable offers VoIP phone service.

Tree Management:

Delaware City is a Tree City USA community and protects its tree resources. The City has a tree management program for street trees, including trimming and removal. It is against the law to prune or otherwise damage a street tree. Call Town Hall at (302) 834-4573 if you have a question or concern about a street tree. The City also has an on-going tree planting program to replace and augment the city’s tree inventory. Contact Town Hall if you would like a street tree planted.


The water supply and distribution system is owned by Artesian Water Co. Artesian provides meter reading, billing, treatment plant operation, and repair services. Water bill payments may be made directly to Artesian.Delaware City’s water supply comes from deep (700′) wells in the Potomac Aquifer. See the most recent CCR for details on the city’s water quality.